The shipping industry has companies focussing on a specific process while others operate over a very broad playing field. Is your company versatile in offering diverse services for the shipping industry? For example, does your firm operate as a port company or agency and as a stevedore or terminal? Does your company do the shipping itself or does it also provide transportation to or from the port? Does your company additionally provide logistic services for third-party cargo?
If you offer multiple services and are looking for an integrated solution to manage the resulting processes, then the information given below might be of interest for you.
The shipping industry has a large variety of activities that need to be planned and registered – activities carried out under your own management or by third parties. You may find that it is a challenge to get the logistic as well as the operational and financial processes under control.
Do you recognise any of the following?
- You would like to map out operations first-hand as quickly and as in depth as possible, but you are dependent on the willingness and capability of people within your own organization and third parties to do this.
- You make contract agreements based on many different parameters, which are specific to the shipping industry and which cannot be entered in standard systems, thereby leaving you unable to perform automatic calculations.
- You find it complicated to enter the different kinds of cargo into your system because each cargo type has its own handling and storage procedures, which as a result produce specific parameters for billing purposes.
- You want to manage costs, but you can’t compute all costs globally because it is difficult to consolidate information from different systems.
- It is difficult to look back and estimate the extent to which you have efficiently used your sparse human and material resources and the extent to which you have profitably sold your services.
In the end it boils down to the question: ‘What do we earn with our activities?’
We ask this question whether it regards the operation of the port, ships and other means of transport, or cargo handling and other services. In order to always be capable of answering this question it is important that you know the correct costs and revenues in full and in a timely manner. Then you will be in control of your company and you will be able to manage it.
We would like to and are able to tell you much more and we are eager to hear about the challenges you face! Feel free to contact us.